ABLEWIKI:Berea Park Club Hall

From WikiUP
Jump to: navigation, search
GISKEY
unknown
Condition
Good, require maintenance
Date of origin
1926
Previous names
(Northern) Club Hall: SA Transport Services Berea Park
Place
Southern entrance to pretoria, adjacent to the Apies River
Street
600 Van der Walt Street
Town
Pretoria
Magisterial district
Tswhane
Province
Gauteng
Country
South Africa
GPS coordinates

25°45'31.54"S

28°11'37.32"E

Planning authority name
CIty of Tshwane
Architect/Firm
unknown
Project architect/Designer
unknown
Commissioning owner
South African Railways and Harbours (S.A.R. & H.)
Current owner
Founders Primary and High School
Current occupant
Vacant
Previous uses

Club hall

Administrative offices, conference facilities

Current use
Vacant

Image:Street_facade2.jpg

Image:Western_Facade_-_Clubhouse_left,_club_hall_right.jpg

Contents

Significance

Considerable cultural heritage value and important landmark to the southern gateway of Pretoria.

Current known heritage status

Buildings older than 60 years are protected by Section 34(1) of the National Heritage Resource Act.

Known interested and affected parties

Pretoria Institute of Architects

University of Pretoria, Architecture department
Founders Primary and High School
South African Heritage and Resource Agency
Provincial Heritage Resource Authority of of Gauteng
Berea Football Club
Berea- Burgers Park Community Development Corporation
Tshwane Metro Council

History

The Berea Park Club hall forms part of the Berea Club - developed in 1897. In the same year, the first South African automobile was exhibited at the club. Berea Club consisted of the sport grounds between (currently) Nelson Mandela Boulevard and Van der Walt Street, but the slipway connecting these two streets split the grounds. After Berea Club was sold to the South African Transport Services in 1903, Railway staff used one of the first sport facilities in Pretoria.The club also offered a library, music room and bar to is members. The Southern clubhouse was built in 1907, while the northern club hall was added in 1926. The Berea Rugby Club was initiated in the same year. In the 1990s administrative offices and conference facilities occupied these two buildings. Founders Primary and High School was located in the clubhouse until a fire in April 2010 caused considerable damage to the building.

Description of site and/or structures and/or interior spaces

A bridge with timber frame windows connect the Southern Clubhouse the the Norhtern Club hall. The club hall is a three storey U-shaped building with galvanized steel sadle roof and gables. A portico serves as entrance to the hall's foyer.

Image:Bridge_between_clubhouse_and_hall.jpg

Links

http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-02202007-163210/ 

http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-10122006-121745/

http://www.up.ac.za/dspace/handle/2263/11321

http://upetd.up.ac.za/ETD-db/ETD-browse/browse?first_letter=S;browse_by=last_name

Sources

Le Roux, Schalk. 1990. Plekke en Geboue van Pretoria, vol. 1. Pretoria Argitektuurvereniging, pp. 155-156 

Lotz, W. 2006. 'Communication Research Centre', MArch(Prof) Thesis, University of Pretoria.

Strydom, C. 2003. 'Modulayer-Berea Park Learner's Resource Centre', MArch(Prof) thesis, University of Pretoria.

Tshombe, MX. 2007. 'Beyond function: Pretoria station interchange and civic space', MArch(Prof) thesis, University of Pretoria.

Photos

(Please post any photographs of the buildings you have here)

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox